How to perform a clean install of Windows 8.1
- Document ID: 4003871
- Posted Date: 2013-10-03
- Last Updated: 2013-10-03
- Distribution: View Public Website
Dear Toshiba Customer,The information in this document explains how to perform a clean installation of Windows 8.1 on your TOSHIBA PC.If you have a TOSHIBA Windows 7 PC Click Here.TOSHIBA PC models preinstalled with Windows 8 supported by TOSHIBA for update to Windows 8.1
Important items to review and consider before updating to Windows 8.1
- Supported models with Windows 8 preinstalled: ALL
- Unsupported models with Windows 8 preinstalled: NONE
Prior to updating to Windows 8.1
- Visit the Windows Compatibilty Center to view the latest information from Microsoft on Windows 8.1 at: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win8
- The time it will take to download and install the Windows 8.1 update to your computer may vary depending on your PC configuration, speed and amount of traffic on your internet connection.
- Always backup your files and any applications you installed prior to updating to Windows 8.1 in the event of loss or damage to these files and applications.
- Some third party hardware and software may not work properly after the update process.
- All password and user information will be deleted when performing a clean installation of Windows 8.1.
- View Information from TOSHIBA regarding any loss/limit of any features/functionality that may occur after updating to Windows 8.1 by visiting: http://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=4003275
- If you decide to return to Windows 8 you may need to recover or restore your computer to factory settings. To review recover options visit: http://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=2737864
This includes recommended app / driver updates and actions that need to be taken prior to updating
Installing Windows 8.1
- Make sure that the AC adaptor is connected during the entire update process.
- Make sure to keep Internet access available during the entire update process.
- Use the TOSHIBA Recovery Media Creator utility to create recovery media (DVD or USB Flash Memory). This will allow you to restore the factory preinstalled software if you have issues during the Windows 8.1 update or you choose to uninstall Windows 8.1. For help on creating recovery media visit: http://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=2753749
- Backup the files on your PC. If you need help backing up your files visit: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/set-drive-file-history
- Insert the Windows 8.1 DVD in the DVD Rom Drive
- Follow the on screen prompts for installing Windows 8.1
- When prompted to “Choose what to keep” choose “Nothing” then select “Next” to perform a clean install.
Welcome to Windows 8.1. Click here to learn more.After updating to Windows 8.1
This includes recommended app / driver updates and actions that need to be taken after updating
- Update your current version of Windows 8.1 by using Windows Update. Follow these steps to access Windows Update:
- In the Settings charm, click Change PC settings.
- Under PC settings select Update and Recovery.
- Select Windows Update then select Check now.
- Select View Details.
- Place a check mark in all Important and Optional updates then select Install.
- Follow the on screen instructions to install any updates.
(!) Several reboots may be required in order to complete the whole updating process.
- Download and install TOSHIBA service station by visiting:
- Update your TOSHIBA components and drivers by using TOSHIBA Service Station.
- To access the TOSHIBA Service Station:
- On Start screen, type Service Station, and then click Service Station from the list that appears.
- Accept TOSHIBA Service Station Utility (TSS) Software Notice & Acceptance if required.
- Click Check for Updates and install any updates that appear. (!) It will be necessary to move the TSS application screen to the right side of the display to reveal any warning notices that appear.
- Locate and install any additional TOSHIBA components and drivers for your TOSHIBA PC
- Go to http://support.toshiba.com/drivers and enter you model part number.
- Filter by Windows 8.1 (64bit) to locate, download and install any additional components and drivers for your TOSHIBA PC.
- Update Windows Store apps
- Open the Windows Store by tapping or clicking the Store tile on the Start screen.
- Check for updates in the upper right corner of the store screen and install any updates available.
Your Windows 8.1 installation is complete now.
- Export Control and EULA
- Use of any software made available for download from this system constitutes your acceptance of the Export Control Terms and the terms in the Toshiba end-user license agreement both of which you can view before downloading any such software.