How to restore your Toshiba computer/tablet to its factory fresh software condition using system recovery
- Document ID: 98082971
- Posted Date: 2010-08-19
- Last Updated: 2012-12-07
- Distribution: View Public Website
Many Toshiba computers/tablets come with the factory software recovery image stored in a special (hidden) area on the hard disk. From this special hidden system recovery image, you can restore your computer to its factory-fresh software condition by following these steps:
- Make sure the device is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
- Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
- Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
- Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer/tablet. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
- If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
- A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
- Click Yes to continue.
- When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
- Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary.
For devices equipped with Windows 8, "Reset" returns your device to its out-of-box, factory default conditions (removes your personal files and apps as well reset all settings to defaults) similar to a “System Recovery.” Refer to the How To: Understanding System Restore, Refresh, Reset, and, Recovery options in Windows 8 + Video knowledge base article for complete information.
Please note that the process may vary slightly from machine to machine, that you may be asked to insert disks (multi-disk packages) and that the process may take one to two hours to complete. The recovery process will restart your computer several times.
As you use the recovery process you will have several options. One of these may be to create a custom size partition. Follow the directions on screen for this and other options as prompted. When in doubt, it's usually best to accept the default, or pre-selected option.
- Export Control and EULA
- Use of any software made available for download from this system constitutes your acceptance of the Export Control Terms and the terms in the Toshiba end-user license agreement both of which you can view before downloading any such software.