FAQ: CD/DVD Drive does not work after upgrading to Windows 8
- Document ID: 98084086
- Posted Date: 2012-10-27
- Last Updated: 2012-10-27
- Distribution: View Public Website
After upgrading to Windows 8 my CD/DVD optical drive does not work or is not recognized anymore.
Uninstall the Toshiba programs:
- TOSHIBA Recovery Media Creator
- TOSHIBA Disc Creator
Then restart your PC using the Power-->Restart option in Windows 8. Your CD/DVD should be accessible now.
For help with uninstalling these programs follow the instructions below
To Uninstall a program or application:
- At the START screen type "Control Panel"
- Select "Programs" --> "Uninstall a program"
- Find the two programs listed above and uninstall these applications
- After the application programs are uninstalled restart your computer using the Power-->Restart option in Windows 8
- When the computer power back on the CD/DVD drive should be available
If the CD/DVD drive still does not appear follow the instructions below to uninstall a device driver
To uninstall a device driver:
- At the START screen type "Device Manager"
- Select Device Manager > DVD/CD-ROM drives > right click on the device displayed > select Uninstall.
- After the driver uninstalls, power down you computer using the restart method. The driver will install automatically when the computer restarts.
- The CD/DVD drive should now be shown.
If your CD/DVD is still not recognized, click here for help with a CD or DVD drive that isn't working correctly.
- Export Control and EULA
- Use of any software made available for download from this system constitutes your acceptance of the Export Control Terms and the terms in the Toshiba end-user license agreement both of which you can view before downloading any such software.