Error Message: Can't find device file that may be needed.
- Document ID: 94000583
- Posted Date: 1996-08-19
- Last Updated: 1996-08-19
- Distribution: View Public Website
- Applicable Models
Satellite 100CS Satellite 110CS Satellite 110CT Satellite 200CDS Satellite 2505CDS Satellite 305CDS Satellite 310CDS Satellite 310CDT Satellite 320CDS Satellite 320CDT Satellite 335CDS Satellite 335CDT Satellite 4000CDS Satellite 4000CDT Portege 300CT Portege 320CT Portege 610CT Portege 650CT Portege 660CDT Portege 7000CT Tecra 500CDT Tecra 500CS Tecra 510CDT Tecra 520CDT Tecra 530CDT Tecra 550CDT Tecra 700CS Tecra 700CT Tecra 710CDT Tecra 720CDT Tecra 730CDT Tecra 730XCDT Tecra 740CDT Tecra 750CDT Tecra 780CDM Tecra 780DVD Tecra 8000 Satellite Pro 400CDT Satellite Pro 400CS Satellite Pro 415CS Satellite Pro 425CDS Satellite Pro 430CDS Satellite Pro 430CDT Satellite Pro 440CDT Satellite Pro 440CDX Satellite Pro 465CDX Satellite Pro 470CDT Satellite Pro 480CDT Satellite Pro 490XCDT libretto 100CT libretto 50CT libretto L70CT Equium 100 Equium 5160D Equium 5200D Equium 5230D Equium 6200D Equium 6200M Equium 6230D Equium 6260M Equium 7000D Equium 7100D Infinia 7130 Infinia 7160 Infinia 7161 Infinia 7200 Infinia 7201 Infinia 7202 Infinia 7230 Infinia 7231 Infinia 7260
- When you start Windows, you may receive the following error message:
Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.
The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall program or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
NOTE: The specific file may not be named.
To resolve this problem, follow each step below until the error no longer occurs:
1. If you have recently removed a program or component, reinstall the program or component, then run the uninstall tool if one is available. If no uninstall tool is available for the program or component, contact the manufacturer to obtain instructions on uninstalling.
2. If the missing device driver has a .386 extension, disable the line referring to this device driver in the
System.ini file by placing a semicolon (;) at the beginning of the line. For example, if the line
referencing the missing device driver reads
change the line to read
3. If the missing device driver has a .vxd extension, it is a driver designed for use with Windows 95 or
Windows 98 and is referenced in the registry. In most cases, a program or component with drivers
designed for use with Windows 95 or Windows 98 will also be listed in the Add/Remove Programs tool
in Control Panel. Following the instructions in step 1 should correct the problem.
If the error occurs after following the instructions in step 1, you need to locate the value that references the missing device driver in the registry, and delete that registry value.
1. If a specific device driver is not named in the error message, one of the StaticVxD values in the registry is probably blank or contains only spaces. The StaticVxD values are located in the registry keys below the following key:
Use Registry Editor to locate and delete any StaticVxD value in the registry that contains invalid data, is blank, or contains only spaces.
- Export Control and EULA
- Use of any software made available for download from this system constitutes your acceptance of the Export Control Terms and the terms in the Toshiba end-user license agreement both of which you can view before downloading any such software.