Manual Battery Identification Process for New Battery Pack Recall Program
- Document ID: 98082281
- Posted Date: 2007-07-19
- Last Updated: 2008-10-06
- Distribution: View Public Website
- Applicable Models
Satellite A100-S2211TD Satellite A100-S2311TD Satellite A100-S8111TD Satellite A100-SP471 Satellite A100-ST3211 Satellite A100-ST8211 Satellite A105-S101 Satellite A105-S1012 Satellite A105-S1013 Satellite A105-S1014 Satellite A105-S171 Satellite A105-S1711 Satellite A105-S1712 Satellite A105-S2001 Satellite A105-S2011 Satellite A105-S2021 Satellite A105-S2031 Satellite A105-S2041 Satellite A105-S2051 Satellite A105-S2061 Satellite A105-S2071 Satellite A105-S2081 Satellite A105-S2091 Satellite A105-S2101 Satellite A105-S2111 Satellite A105-S2121 Satellite A105-S2131 Satellite A105-S2141 Satellite A105-S215TD Satellite A105-S2181 Satellite A105-S2194 Satellite A105-S2201 Satellite A105-S2204 Satellite A105-S2211 Satellite A105-S2224 Satellite A105-S271 Satellite A105-S2711 Satellite A105-S2712 Satellite A105-S2713 Satellite A105-S2714 Satellite A105-S2715 Satellite A105-S2716 Satellite A105-S2717 Satellite A105-S2719 Satellite A105-S361 Satellite A105-S3611 Satellite A105-S4001 Satellite A105-S4002 Satellite A105-S4004 Satellite A105-S4011 Satellite A105-S4012 Satellite A105-S4014 Satellite A105-S4021 Satellite A105-S4022 Satellite A105-S4024 Satellite A105-S4031 Satellite A105-S4034 Satellite A105-S4041 Satellite A105-S4051 Satellite A105-S4054 Satellite A105-S4064 Satellite A105-S4074 Satellite A105-S4084 Satellite A105-S4092 Satellite A105-S4094 Satellite A105-S4102 Satellite A105-S4104 Satellite A105-S4114 Satellite A105-S4124 Satellite A105-S4132 Satellite A105-S4134 Satellite A105-S4144 Satellite A105-S4154 Satellite A105-S4164 Satellite A105-S4174 Satellite A105-S4184 Satellite A105-S4194 Satellite A105-S4201 Satellite A105-S4204 Satellite A105-S4211 Satellite A105-S4214 Satellite A105-S4244 Satellite A105-S4254 Satellite A105-S4274 Satellite A105-S4284 Satellite A105-S4294 Satellite A105-S4342 Satellite A105-S4344 Satellite A105-S4364 Tecra A7-S612 Tecra A7-S712 Tecra A7-ST5112 Tecra A7-ST7711 Tecra A7-ST7712
Manual Battery Identification for New Battery Pack Recall Program
July 18, 2007
The following instructions explain how to visually determine whether you have an affected battery that is eligible for replacement under the New Battery Pack Recall Program, and to then obtain the Battery Number and Battery Serial Number. This manual method requires that you remove the battery from the computer, and then visually match identification numbers on the battery's identification label with sample images of batteries and their identification labels below. Use of the downloadable BatteryCheck software is the easiest and recommended method to perform battery identification. See the New Battery Pack Recall Program Information document for more details. Please note that this document is for identifying notebook batteries sold by Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. in the United States.
Note: If you are reading this on a notebook containing a battery that needs to be inspected, you will need to print the instructions so that you will have them available after you turn off the notebook.
To visually determine whether a given battery is affected, follow these steps:
1. Shut down the computer: Click the Windows Start button, then click Shut Down, and then select "Shut down" from the dropdown list that appears.
2. Unplug all cords and cables connected to the computer, including the AC adapter.
3. Turn the computer upside down, for easy access to the battery.
4. Remove the battery from the computer. The battery is held in place by two plastic latches. Sliding the latches toward the outside edges of the computer will allow the battery to be easily pulled out from the rear of the computer. For detailed and illustrated battery removal instructions, see the User's Guide for the computer, available on the Toshiba Service and Support website, at http://pcsupport.toshiba.com.
5. Examine the battery identification label to determine how many bar codes are present: one, or two - as shown in the pictures below.
Battery identification label with one bar code
If your battery has a label with one bar code, it is not affected, and not eligible for replacement under this program.
Battery identification label with two stacked bar codes
The battery identification label is in the center in the picture above, adjacent to the battery's electrical connector. This type of label has two bar codes, one positioned directly above the other. Ignore any other labels that may be present.
6. Continue to the section below that matches the type of label on the battery, for specific identification instructions.
If you determine that you have an affected battery, write down or otherwise make a record of the Battery Number and the Battery Serial Number, as identified in the sections below.
Battery identification label with two stacked bar codes
If the battery identification label on the battery contains two bar codes, one positioned above the other, as shown in the picture immediately below, then compare the Battery Number on the label, shown circled below, to the two numbers in the table below the picture .
If the Battery Number (the top number) on the label does not match any of the two numbers in the table, then the battery is not affected (and is not eligible for replacement). Please ignore the remainder of this document and any other material.
In this example, the Battery Number matches the second entry in the table, indicating that the battery is affected.
If the Battery Number on the label does match any one of these four numbers, then determine whether the Battery Serial Number on the label,
shown circled above, fits any one of the following criteria:
- The battery number is, "6027B0010101", and the first four digits of the Battery Serial Number are, "6107", and the final three characters are "ASF"
- The battery number is, "6027B0008001", and the first four digits of the Battery Serial Number are, "6109", "6110", or "6111", and the final three characters are "ASF"
If the Battery Serial Number does not match as described above, then the battery is not affected (and is not eligible for replacement). Please ignore the remainder of this document and any other material.
If both the Battery Number and the Battery Serial Number match as described above, the battery is affected, and is eligible for free replacement by Toshiba. Please write down the Battery Number and Battery Serial Number, then continue to step 7.
7. The final step is to fill out the web-based battery replacement form.
Alternately, you may provide your battery identification information to an agent at the Toshiba Global Support Center, at 800-457-7777.
- Export Control and EULA
- Use of any software made available for download from this system constitutes your acceptance of the Export Control Terms and the terms in the Toshiba end-user license agreement both of which you can view before downloading any such software.